Wilton Course 1, Class 1

by Melissa on March 12, 2008

I have wanted to take a cake decorating class for at least a year now. But between work schedules, and having a baby, it was not happenning in 2007. I had planned to take it in January, then February, but again things just kept comming up.  So finally March was my month!  I was supposed to start class last week, and I was so excited. I had gone out and bought my supplies, planned my work schedule and was good to go. Imagine my disappointment to find out the class had been canceled. :( It turns out I was the only person signed up for the class, so I thought I would have to wait yet another month to take it in April. But the people at Michael’s were so nice and scheduled a special class just for me on Tuesday and the schedule will resume on Thursday.

I was a little nervous about being the only person in the class, but the instructor quickly put me at ease and assured me she gets paid either way! Tonight I basically just learned about how to frost a cake so that it is smooth and also about what I will be learning about in course one and what supplies I would need.

Prior to the class, I read about Katie’s experience with class 1. She is very smart, so I took her advice and purchased the Wilton Cake Decorating Caddy and Tools kit. It’s like my own little cake decorating tackle-box! I am one of those people who has the best intentions of being organized, but am rarely able to follow-through. However, this thing makes it very easy to keep everything in it’s place. There are spots for tips/couplers, colors and some small items on top, then the bottom is open for the larger items. I also brought a small notebook as suggested and a pen to write in the actual instruction booklet with.

img_1242.jpg

The caddy comes with:

• 19 decorating tips- all the ones you will need for courses 1-3
  • 2 couplers
  • decorating brush
  • 10″ re-usable decorating bag
  • practice board
  • tip brush
  • 4 icing colors (lemon yellow, royal blue, leaf green, Christmas red)
  • 18 disposable decorating bags
  • flower nail
  • instruction booklet
  • small angled spatula

After the class tonight, I picked up some more supplies per the recommendation of the instructor and also those things that are required for the next class.

img_1249.jpg

• toothpicks and holder
  • scissors
  • wax paper
  • 8″ round, 3″ deep cake pan
  • piping gel
  • 10″ cake circles
  • clear vanilla and almond extract, and butter flavor
  • bake-even strips- supposedly these help the cake bake evenly, resulting in moist, level cakes
  • cake icer tip and 16″ re-usable bag to put it in
  • icing colors ( no-taste red, violet, kelly green)
  • 4-pack of couplers
  • small containers for frosting
  • revolving cake stand

Total cost for everything so far is around $75. The caddy was $50, but I used a 40% off coupon for that. I also used a 40% off coupon for the most expensive item tonight and the 10% off coupon you get on all cake supplies for taking the course. The cost of the class was $17.50 this month, normally $35, but I guess at different Michael’s, they charge different rates.

The next class we (I) will be making the “rainbow” cake. I am not really sure what I am going to with this cake, but I am looking forward to finally decorating a cake!

Sorry this turned into such a long blog entry, but I found these posts very helpful when I was looking into taking the course, and it is also a way for me to keep track of things!

katie102006 March 12, 2008 at 1:13 pm

WOW!! You got a *lot* of stuff! I’m way jealous! :) With all those fun new toys you are going to have a LOT of fun! I can’t wait to see your cake!

Amy March 12, 2008 at 1:53 pm

YAY! Next week, we are working on skills for the rainbow cake too…

I haven’t gone on my shopping spree yet but I did buy the kit…

Priscilla March 12, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Just found your blog Melissa, super btw! You make yummy looking food! I took this same class and you learn a lot…it is fun too! Hope you enjoy it.

Lissete Diaz July 15, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Hi! I found you through a Wilton google search. I am currently taking course 1 and have been debating whether I would take any other courses. I, personally, would have been a happy camper being the only one in class! ;) I really enjoyed reading your input on all your courses thus far. I’ve been snooping around, and that green scroll cake with the bow is AMAZING! I hope to one day be able to do that!

Kate December 4, 2008 at 3:57 pm

hi there, i am currently trying to make the buttercream icing in the student course 1 booklet but my icing came out too stiff… i did it the way it was instructed from the booklet. I added some more shortening but it didn’t help. Were you able to use this recipe in the booklet or did you do your own?

Melissa December 7, 2008 at 9:08 am

Kate: Try adding water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, until it gets to the consistency you are looking for. Make sure you mix it well! :)

Ann February 13, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I ordered the wilton 101 tool caddy set. it has everything in there

Joy February 21, 2009 at 9:23 am

hi. i am getting laid off so thought that this class would be something fun and interesting to do since i will be having extra time on my hands. :) anyways, i start my class on monday and the woman told me i need at least four people to have the class, so im hoping mine dont get cancelled. really looking forward to it!

Cindy Weldon March 22, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I had to stop taking the Wilton Course 1 due to personal problems, I would like a copy of the buttercream icing/frosting recipe found on the 1,2,3 pages of the Wilton course 1 instruction book. could anyone please e-mail this recipe to me. i can remember it 1 cup of crisco shortening, pinch of salt, 4 cups of confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk or water, and the option of flavoring. I just need to be sure if this is the correct recipe. It taste much better than the buttercream made with butter. anyone who can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa March 25, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Cindy- If you look through my Wilton posts, I have the icing recipe written out. Good luck!

Marie April 8, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I am in course 1 too! I am getting really excited. For a beginner, do you think I should get the 50 or 101 pc saddy? I don’t have any experience with decorating whatsoever. I know that we need an 8” pan, but how deep? For the rainbow cake, do we bake 2 cakes and remove both crowns (follow page 10 and 11)? I am really confused!

Melissa April 9, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Marie- I got the 50 piece caddy and it provided more than what I needed for Course One. I believe the 8-inch pan is 3-inches deep. I blogged about the rainbow cake here:http://madebymel.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/wilton-course-1-class-2/. Good luck!!

Anum July 28, 2010 at 1:30 am

I wanted to join the class, and i wanted to know if you have to buy the course 1 instruction booklet separately if you buy the caddy.
Thank you!

Melissa July 28, 2010 at 5:53 am

It has been a while since I took this course, but if I remember correctly, they give you the instruction book when you get to the class! Good luck!

wilton September 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

The cakes you have made look great. I am considering joining this course in the UK but I a not sure whether I will benefit from it as much as I could or not.

Course 1 costs about £30 and I am a bit concerned that the prices will go higher when purchasing the materials as the factory that stocks them has high prices. Nevertheless, before you started this course had you attempted aking cakes similar to what was asked of in this course or not? What about the edible flowers? Because if a newbie can learn to the extent you have then I think I really will want to enrol on this course.

Melissa September 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I had not attempted to decorate any fancy cakes or make flowers prior to taking the Wilton courses, and I definitely think they gave me a good base of knowledge. But, you may also want to check out youtube.com or cakecentral.com for cake decorating videos and tips and maybe practice at home a bit before you invest in the class. Good luck!