I love the Zuppa Toscana Soup at Olive Garden, it is my favorite soup to get when we go out. Since it is STILL winter and we are STILL getting snow, I made this along with garlic swirl bread for a warm, comforting meal. This is another recipe from allrecipes.com, written as I made it, following some of the tips from reviewers.
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage (I used a 1lb roll of Jimmy Dean light sausage)
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups kale – washed, dried, and shredded
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 quart water (I used 2 cups of chicken broth, 2 1/2 cups of water)
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F. Place the sausage links onto a sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until done. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut at an angle into 1/2 -inch slices. I just cooked/crumbled the sausage in a frying pan, drained and set aside.
Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until slightly crispy. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and set aside. Add onions to the pan and cook until almost clear. Add garlic to the onions and cook an additional 1 minute. Add chicken soup base, water, chicken broth and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes (I let it simmer about minutes to soften the kale) and serve.