I had never cooked with chicken sausage before, I am not sure why, but it just never really looked appealing to me. Last time I was at the grocery store though, they had a new brand of chicken sausage and the roasted garlic and herb flavor looked pretty good. Whenever I have something new I want to cook with, I head to my google reader and do a search with that ingredient to see what other food bloggers have made.
This recipe, from Katie’s blog, was one of the first to pop up and instantly appealed to me. It is a quick, easy meal, and I already had most of the ingredients on hand. The original recipe is for a spicy tomato cream sauce, but I wasn’t really in a spicy food kinda mood, so I ommitted the red pepper. I did make a few changes, based on what I had, but it was delicious!
Baked Chicken Sausage with Spicy Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 box pasta of choice (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste Rotini)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 links of chicken sausage with spinach, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds (I used chicken sausage with roasted garlic and herbs)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (omitted)
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes, crushed with back of spoon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- splash heavy whipping cream (I used 1/2 and 1/2)
- 1/4 c. flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
- 1 c. fontina cheese, grated (I used a combination of freshly shredded mozzarella, parmesan and romano)
- 1/2 c. garlic and herb bread crumbs
In large Dutch oven of lightly salted water, cook pasta according to directions to just al dente (still firm). Transfer pasta to large colander and set aside to drain.Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In Dutch oven, now empty, add olive oil and bring up to almost smoking. Add chicken sausage, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and crushed pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes and salt and stir to scrape up all browned bits
Bring to boil and reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.Add cream, stir to combine, add pasta and parsley, toss for one minute.
Sprinkle on cheese and then bread crumbs and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until bubbly.