Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Filling

by Melissa on June 1, 2008

A little late with these recipes, but things have been very busy lately! This was the bottom cake for my Wilton Course 3 two-tier cake. I had some issues making this cake, but I blame the pan. My plan was to make 3 different chocolate cake recipes. This cake was only going to family and friends and it would give me a chance to compare recipes.

I won’t go through all of my trial and tribulations of the day, as that would be a very long blog post. So I will just tell you I ended up making the Ghirardelli Chocolate Grand Fudge Cake, and Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake. After tasting the Ghirardelli cake next to the Hershey cake, I think I am going to stick with Hershey. The cake was moister and the chocolate flavor more intense.

I filled the cake with chocolate ganache, recipe from allrecipes.com. I was debating between frosting with traditional white buttercream and chocolate buttercream. I decided to just go all out chocolate and I also wanted to see how white fondant would look over chocolate buttercream (it looks the same as over white buttercream). This cake was very rich, but very good. It tasted like a chocolate layer cake you would get at a restaurant and I would highly recommend it if you love chocolate.

Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. 10 to 12 servings. I baked in a 10-inch round cake pan for about 45 minutes.

VARIATIONS:
ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13×9×2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.

THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

Chocolate Ganache

• 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional) (omitted)

Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired.

Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward. For a fluffy frosting or chocolate filling, allow it to cool until thick, then whip with a whisk until light and fluffy. I let the ganache cool for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator then spread it in between the cake layers, I did not bother whisking it.

Rich Chocolate Buttercream

• 1 cup solid vegetable shortening, regular or butter flavor
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4-6 tablespoons of water, divided
  • 1 pound confectioners sugar (approx. 4 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon meringue powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 – 3/4 cup chocolate ganache (That is what makes this”rich”)

Cream shortening, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of water on low speed until combined. Sift together confectioners sugar, meringue powder, salt and cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to shortening mixture, mix on low, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add chocolate ganache and mix on low-medium speed until combined. Once ingredients have been thoroughly combined, add additional 1-3 tablespoons of water to create thin consistency icing to frost cake with. With the addition of the chocolate ganache, I did not add any additional water.

snooky doodle December 18, 2008 at 1:09 am

looks great !

JB September 24, 2009 at 11:57 am

Hi,

This is the top Google page for “Chocolate filling layer cake”. I’m not a cake maker, but thought I would make something special with my kids tonight for Mom’s return tomorrow from a long week of work travel out of town. I’ll try out your suggestions, they look very similar to my imaginations. If I snap any pics of making it, I’ll send them along with a description of our results – thanks for the post!

JB

Uilani July 12, 2010 at 5:37 pm

This is the best page for this chocolate cake. I made this cake with ganache and it was AWESOME!!! Everyone loved it.

Shellie January 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Just wanted to say that this was exactly what I was looking for, my niece has a baby shower coming up and I was asked to do the cake, I was looking to do a chocolate cake with chocolate ganach filling and I’m still deciding between fondant or icing for the outside. What would you prefer? Keeping in mind that I have never done a special cake before :) also would this cake and filling be ok to let set out overnight ? I would like to do it the day before to help on stress and worry

Melissa January 19, 2011 at 8:55 am

Thanks for stopping by!
If you have never worked with fondant before, I would just stick with chocolate icing. It is not hard to work with, but it does take some practice and patience. It also honestly does not taste that great and is used more for the look of the cake than the taste of the fondant! I would not leave the assembled cake out overnight, as the filling has cream in it.
Good luck!

Deb March 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hi there, made this caks last week as a practice run for a birthday, but I greased and floured a nonstick pan and the cake came out in pieces and seemed to be too moist, I am an avid baker and have not had this problem before, any suggestions?

Melissa March 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

Hi Deb,
Sorry this cake did not work out for you! As far as sticking, my suggestion would be to line the pans with parchment paper, in addition to greasing and flouring. I have never had a problem with it being too moist, but that is the reason I love this Hershey’s recipe- the cake is never dry! Good luck and thanks for stopping by! :)

Shellie March 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I was just reading about lining the cake pan with parchment paper, i have two questions, will the cake still come out with a good shape (without the creases from the paper) and also i was wandering if you spray the pan before you line it and then the paper or just the paper or just the pan itself? lol sorry for all the silly questions but i have never done that before and i am fixing this exact cake for my nieces baby shower next weekend and defiantly want good results…. one last thing, with the ganach filling does it matter if i use the semi sweet chocolate rather than the bittersweet chocolate? Thanks again!

Melissa March 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm

No problem! I spray and flour the pan, line the bottom with parchment cut to size and spray the parchment just a bit. When you invert the cake out of the pan, just peel the parchment off the bottom and the cake will be smooth. Semi-sweet chocolate would be fine. Good luck! :)

Deb March 12, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I made this cake again, and used my parchment paper as I have done in the past and it comes out smooth on the sides, and also, I made the cake again exact to the directions and then put a layer of ganache with a trutle crunch topping on top of the ganache for some crunch and then put the next layer on, then iced it with homemade peanut butter icing, and then some more turtle crunch topping, which you can find in the baking aisle at a grocery store, I shop wegmans, and then piped chocolate swirls on top, looked awesome…

Melissa March 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Sounds wonderful!

Shara July 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Hi my question is similar to one already asked about preparing a day ahead I understand that I shouldn’t leave out over night but would it be ok if I refrigerate over night?

Melissa July 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Yes, you can refrigerate it overnight. Unless, you are covering it with fondant, then I would wait until the next morning to put the fondant on. Good luck!

Issy April 21, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hi MEllisa ,
I enjoyed reading your blog! These cakes look to die for and yummy. I have a question . Did you bake in two 10 inch pans or one. If you used two Pans did it affect the height of the cake . Did you adjust the recipe for 10 inch pan .

Melissa April 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

Thank you!
I believe I baked the cake in one 10-inch cake pan, then cut it into layers. But, honestly I made this cake several years ago and don’t remember for sure! You could always use two 9-inch pans if that is what you have. Good luck!