Barefoot Bloggers: Banana (apple) Sour Cream Pancakes

by Melissa on January 8, 2009

It is a new year and time for a new Barefoot Bloggers recipe! The first recipe of January was chosen by Karen over at Something Sweet by Karen. Now, I am sure these pancakes as is are delicious….that is, if you like bananas. However, I loathe bananas. I wished I liked bananas, I mean they are such healthy and portable snack. I just don’t though. I don’t like anything about them, the flavor, the smell, the texture…. ick, ick, ick.

Now that you know way more than you wanted to about my extreme dislike of bananas, I will tell what I do like. I like apples! Apples and cinnamon, now that is a pancake! I took Ina’s basic recipe and subbed out finely chopped apples for the bananas, and mixed them into the batter with a teaspoon of cinnamon. I also increased the sugar just a bit since the apples were very tart. I served them with cinnamon maple syrup and toasted pecans. These pancakes made for a very delicious and filling breakfast.

Thank you Karen for a great recipe pick! To learn more about the Barefoot Bloggers, click here. The next recipe for January is MY pick! Woo-hoo!

006

• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • Unsalted butter
  • 1 granny smith apple, finely chopped
  • Pure maple syrup
  • Pecans (optional)

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder,  salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined. Fold in the apples.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with warm maple syrup and toasted pecans.

To toast the pecans: After the last pancake is cooked, wipe out the pan. Add the pecan and toast over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and serve with the pancakes and syrup.

Cinnamon Maple Syrup

• 1 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1-2 cinnamon sticks

Heat syrup and cinnamon sticks over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove and let steep for 45 minutes. Remove sticks and pour into a small pitcher.

Source: Adapted from Banana Sour Cream Pancakes,  Barefoot Contessa: Family Style. Syrup recipe adapted from foodnetwork.com.

Cynthia January 9, 2009 at 1:38 am

I despise cantaloupe. ICK ICK ICK. So I can relate! Good innovation. I look forward to the Sticky buns.

shortbreadsouth January 9, 2009 at 10:21 am

Brand new Barefoot Blogger here! Your pancakes sound great, I’ll have to try the apples & cinnamon. Can’t wait for the next pick!

joelen January 9, 2009 at 11:29 am

I love that this was adapted to use apples – great idea and it looks delicious!

priscilla January 9, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Mm, yummy! You don’t like bananas? That is too bad cause they make amazing desserts and food! :)

Kate January 9, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I don’t love bananas, but I still like banana pancakes!

Karen January 9, 2009 at 5:03 pm

i was wondering how many people would completely despise bananas, people who don’t like them REALLY don’t like them! i’ll admit it did give me pause when i was considering my choice. but i’m glad you played along anyway. the choice of apples and cinnamon instead is a great one, i look forward to eventually trying that myself as well. i’m looking forward to trying your pick this weekend! :)

Laura January 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I love any recipe that adds a little something to pancakes!! My twins love them, but I feel guilty making them unless I add a little somethin’ somethin’ to them.

Lindsey January 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Mmm I love your sub of apples. I am making these tomorrow. I love apple pancakes but figured I would give the banana I try for this recipe. I can’t wait to see how they turn out!

ash January 11, 2009 at 1:25 am

they look really tasty!

Todd January 20, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I like bananas but I think I might like your twist even better. You didn’t have to precook the apples or anything to make them soft enough?

charlotte January 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I made these pancakes, grated my apple and stirred it in the flour mix before mixing egg mix into it. They were delish, however i found them to be a little doughy, they werent light and fluffy like my usual buttermilk pancakes. did i do something wrong maybe? Any stabs? anyone?

Melissa January 27, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Charlotte- I am not sure, mine were very fluffy. Maybe the extra moisture from the grated apples?

Suzie January 28, 2009 at 3:26 am

Yours look so good – wish I had split the batter to make some apple ones as well.

charlotte March 3, 2009 at 12:24 am

Melissa i think you are right. I will try these again, this time i wont grate the apple…or maybe even try sweet chopped peaches when in season….yum