I had never heard of Chicken Shawarma when I saw this recipe, but I was intrigued by the ingredients and decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did! The spicy, garlicky chicken pairs perfectly with the creamy yogurt sauce. Served with lettuce and tomato on a pita pocket, this makes for a filling, but light dinner.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Remaining ingredients:
- 4 (6-inch) pitas
- 1 cup chopped romaine or iceburg lettuce
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
To make the chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to the bowl and toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Meanwhile, combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Refrigerate sauce until ready to serve.
Heat a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, the chicken can be grilled.
Heat the pitas on a grill pan or outdoor grill until lightly toasted. To assemble: Spread each pita with 2 tablespoons of the yogurt sauce, top with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 slices of tomato. Top with 4 pieces of chicken.
You may also like: