I love risotto, and this recipe was no exception. I was a bit unsure about how the lemon, asparagus and Parmesan cheese would taste mixed in with the risotto, but I should have known better. It was delicious! The asparagus was tender, but not over-cooked and the creamy risotto had a nice zing from the lemon. I will be making this again very soon!
Lemon Risotto with Asparagus
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Bring broth to a simmer in a large saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice and rind; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, and cook 3 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
Add 3 1/2 cups broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes). Stir in asparagus. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in cheese and juice. Sprinkle with thyme.
You may also like: