Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting

by Melissa on May 11, 2009

I recently made a birthday cake for a little girl who loves cherries! So when I saw this cake pop up in my reader a couple of months ago, I immediately starred it for the occasion. I personally wasn’t sure how this cake would taste, my fear was that it would be too sweet. But I was very wrong, it was delicious! The bits of maraschino cherries folded into the vanilla based cake add a sweet little surprise, but don’t over power the flavor. And you can never go wrong with cream cheese frosting, yum!

img_5038

Cherry Cake

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 3/4 cups sugr
  • 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 5 egg whites, beaten and stiff
  • 1 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 3 (9 inch) baking pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add cherry juice and vanilla, beating until combined.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; sift. Gradually add to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until combined after each addition. Gently fold in beaten egg whites until mixture is smooth. Gently stir in maraschino cherries.

Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until wooden spoon inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese-Cherry Frosting evenly in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with maraschino cherries if desired.

Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
  • 5-6 cups confectioner’s sugar

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly beat in cherry juice until mixture is smooth. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar, beating until smooth.

Source: Paula Deen Magazine, as seen on Reservations Not Required.

You may also like:

BMK May 11, 2009 at 7:45 am

This cake is really delicious! I’m glad you liked it! I love how cute yours is decorated as a birthday cake!

thecookingnurse May 11, 2009 at 9:19 am

This looks great, we used to love eating maraschino cherries as kids!

Laura May 11, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I love anything cherry-flavored and I LOOOVVVEEEE maraschino cherries! I think I’m going to make this for myself for my birthday this year. : )

Colleen May 11, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Wow – this looks amazing – I love cherries!

Kate May 12, 2009 at 12:20 am

I’m so impressed with the cherry cream cheese frosting!

elly May 12, 2009 at 7:35 am

This looks SO good. I love cherries! Mmm.

Stacy Q June 20, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Most of the comments here don’t seem to be from people who MADE, just people who ADMIRED it.

I made this tonight for my husband’s birthday – he requested “a cherry cake with cream cheese frosting.” This was a perfect find.
I thought the cake was really good, a great consistency and texture. It’s quite thick going in the pans, but turns out beautifully. I didn’t have three 9 inch pans, just two nice deep pans I thought were 10 inch. (I measured later and nope, they’re 9 inch. The cake rose up a half inch beyond the sides of the pan. I think the reason it didn’t slop over was because the batter is quite firm) I mention this because with just two layers I had too much frosting. I think the frosting part would have worked out better if I’d have had another layer of cake to frost between. As it was, the frosting was kind of overbearing, thick and everywhere. I thought it was a bit too sweet, too much…
But my husband loved it.
I’d make the cake again, but might cut back on the amount of frosting.

Stacy Q June 21, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Okay… I had another piece today and licked all that yummy frosting off the plate. So I amend my previous entry. And obviously if it’s looking like too much frosting for your cake, put some on graham crackers.

Melissa June 28, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Glad it ended up working our for you! :)

Shannon P December 8, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I made this for a friend of mine, but I made little cakes with the leftover batter to try it. I used buttercream frosting instead of the cream cheese frosting so I can’t say much about the frosting. However, my picky daughter told me after eating it that her favorite cake changed from strawberry to cherry.