Kit Kat Cake

by Melissa on September 16, 2009

How cute is this cake?! Not only does it look awesome, it is so easy to make! No cake decorating skills required. I made this for a co-workers birthday. She is always munching on candy, so I knew this would be perfect for her.

088

All you do is take your favorite cake recipe, bake and let cool. Before frosting, make sure your cake is shorter than a kit-kat bar, if not trim some off the top to leave room for the M&M’s. Frost with your favorite frosting.

Take a bunch of kit-kat bars (about 4 large packages), cut or gently break each bar into two sections. Place the bars on the cake, gently pushing into the frosting. Tie with a ribbon and fill the center with M&M’s (about 1 large bag). You can leave some out to pour around the base of your cake, but since this cake was traveling with me to work, I didn’t bother. That’s it! Easy peasy!

087

I used Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake and Frosting for this cake, but you can use a box mix or whatever your favorite cake recipe is!

Source: Paige’s Pantry, as seen on The Tipsy Hostess.

You may also like:

Stephanie September 16, 2009 at 1:52 pm

super cute! I sent this to my husband when I saw it on another blog a month or so ago. I need to do this for his b-day! Yours looks so cute and professional!

Amy September 16, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Oh wow!! That’s really cute and you don’t have to worry about smoothing the icing…AWESOME!

Lindsey September 16, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I made this same cake for my hubby’s bday a few months ago. Looks great!

snooky doodle September 16, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Ha how nice! How creative and colourful. Really yummy

Joelen September 16, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Beautiful job and so pretty!

Rachel September 16, 2009 at 4:56 pm

So cute! I can’t wait to make this for a birthday!

elly September 16, 2009 at 7:33 pm

It looks great! So cute.

BMK September 17, 2009 at 6:29 am

I love this! Such a fun idea for a birthday!

Rachel September 17, 2009 at 11:06 am

That’s so amazing – I love how the m&ms can just be all chucked in there. I need someone to have a birthday soon so I can make this! :D

Carly September 18, 2009 at 12:36 am

This is the cutest cake! I love that you don’t have to do any decorative piping, but it looks so impressive! Can’t wait to give this one a try.

Jenny September 18, 2009 at 7:40 am

I am going to make this for my husband this weekend – he will flip out!!! (My sons will too :-) )

Colleen September 18, 2009 at 1:29 pm

What a great idea! When I make a cake I will have to try this!

krystal September 18, 2009 at 2:22 pm

This has to be the cutest cake I’ve seen with my fave candies!!!!!!!!! YUM!

Lola September 18, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Adorable!

Jessica September 20, 2009 at 9:42 pm

This is so cute! What a creative idea!

Melissa September 20, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Talk about the perfect cake! Can’t go wrong with Kit Kats, M & M’s, and cake.

I’m going to have to make this for a party we’re going to later this month.

acdc080109 September 23, 2009 at 4:53 pm

So cute!! I’m totally making this for my friend’s bday this weekend!

Simply Life October 3, 2009 at 6:14 am

OH MY GOSH! that is ADORABLE and so creative!!!

Kitchen Butterfly October 3, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Number oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Looks brilliant. Must make this for a birthday!!!

Rebecca October 3, 2009 at 9:57 pm

oh wow this is awesome love it

broe1 October 4, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I love this. I am going to make one for my son’s preschool class using candy pumpkins on top. Can’t wait to try it.

Lori October 10, 2009 at 11:56 pm

This is SOOOOO CUTE!
Lori @ “Life’s a Bowl of Cherries”

darnold23 October 14, 2009 at 8:19 pm

What a cute cake! I had not seen this before so I really appreciate the post. Thanks for sharing it. I host a weekly blog event called Crock Pot Wednesday. I would love for you to post a favorite to that. Thanks a bunch.

Tasteofbeirut October 29, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Fantastic presentation! Not too long ago I went to a fancy museum party and they ran out of desserts and they brought out m&m’s ; I was so amazed to see everyone there rush to the M&M’s bowl and devour them like they had been starving for weeks! such is the power of these …things!

zainab November 3, 2009 at 5:07 am

This is such a great idea,looks so professional as well…great job ;) just wanted to ask you did you have any problem with the kit kat melting and smearing onto the ribbon? how do you store this best and avoid any melting..pls advice.thx

p.s could you pls mail me ur reply,appreciate it.

thanks :))

Melissa November 3, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I did not have any problems with the kit kats melting and I stored the cake at room temp.
I also sent you an e-mail. :)

Jen November 21, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Wow, impressive! How on earth do you cut and serve this bad boy?

Melissa November 22, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Very carefully! I took the ribbon off and cut the cake in between the kit kat segments. The M&M’s do spill out a bit, but it doesn’t make a huge mess. Good luck!

claire May 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm

mm nice, pity its a heart attack on a plate lol

PS~Erin February 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm

How flippin’ cute is this?! And I even think I could do this. (I’ve had some flops in the cake decorating department, so I don’t attempt bday cakes anymore!) Thanks!

Julie February 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I just love the simplicity of this idea. It looks absolutely awesome and as one of the other commenters said – no need to smooth the icing.

stacy March 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Cute my son Reese turns one in July my sister calls him kit kat so I think I will make this cake with Reese’s candy in place of the m and m’s .

Linda @ My Name is Momma April 7, 2011 at 12:41 am

Wowie!! I want this : ) Just stumbled this post!

nicole deitrick April 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm

this cake is awesome!! m&m’s & kitkats are two of my daughter’s favorite candies!!!

Michelle April 9, 2011 at 1:43 am

I made this today for my sons 9th birthday and it was a hit! So cute and festive and most importantly….SO easy!!!! Thanks for the idea!

Terry April 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Made the Kit Kat cake tonight for a co-worker’s birthday tomorrow! Posted the pic on FB, and it’s a hit!! Told everyone to check out your site! Thanks for the great idea – it was easy to make and looks great!

pat April 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm

made it for easter using the spring pastel m&m . took a piece of craft wire and strung chocolate eggs to make a basket handle . :)

jami May 24, 2011 at 1:01 am

So cute! Love it.

Mil June 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm

This is a great idea ….

Paula...SweetHarts Cakes and Bakes July 4, 2011 at 8:14 am
Verity {Belle Bébés} July 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

We featured your cake on Belle Bébés yesterday! http://bit.ly/oHKZpd Thank you for the loveliness :)

Brittany July 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This looks amazing! I really don’t like M&Ms, though (I know, I’m weird.. Trust me, I’ve heard it before lol) so I might substitute some other candy when I make it.

Nic@diningwithastud August 30, 2011 at 2:28 am

This looks so fab!! I know, Im delayed haha but someone just pinned it on Pinterest and I was drooling!

Creating Sarah August 31, 2011 at 3:28 am

I found this on Pinterest and tried it out! It turned out great and so cute! Thanks for sharing. I blogged about it (http://creating-sarah.blogspot.com/2011/08/putting-pinterest-to-good-use.html) and gave you a credit for the idea. Thanks!

Naina @chowbella September 1, 2011 at 7:51 am

Wowww, this is adorable! My boyfriend loves candybars, I’m totally stealing this idea for his next birthday!

Helena September 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Found this while searching google images for a cake that was easy to decorate but still cool looking. This is perfect and easy for me to transport so i am going to make it next week! thanks for a great idea :)

Jazelle September 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I would love to see pictures of this cake after it has been cut! Yummy.

Sarah October 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I made this cake for my husband’s birthday and it turned out great. I blogged about it and linked back to you.

Nikki October 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

This is the PERFECT cake for my hubby! I wish I’d seen this a month ago. Oh well, I’ll save it for next year!

Bonnie Miller December 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I made this cake yesterday for birthday celebrations for my hubby and friends. Everyone was in shock when I brought out the cake. I made the cake part with funfetti cake mix, then iced with vanilla frosting, then added the kit kat bars, and m&ms. It was so easy to make and it made a lasting impression. :) Thanks so much for the wonderful idea! I’m def making this cake again.

aimee December 18, 2011 at 8:33 am

I made this and it came out adorable!!! My niece loved it :)

aimee December 18, 2011 at 8:34 am

p.s it is VERY sweet and a bit messy to cut because of the M&M’s! They spill :)

Kirsten December 20, 2011 at 4:19 am

I made one similar to this and it worked beautifully. Thanks for the great idea!!

Ros January 2, 2012 at 6:01 pm

My boys’ favorite candies are kit kat and m&m’s and their birthdays are coming up! What a great idea…. they will love this as much as a cake I spend hours making. Thanks!

Kristi January 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

HI! I think your cake is just darling!! I did have one question though. When I went to read the Hershey CHocolate cake recipe, did you do a 2 layer cake to make this or stick with one 9 in round cake? I am so new to baking but want to be creative!! Thank you so much!!

Melissa January 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I did a 2-layer cake! Have fun! :)

Jennifer January 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

This cake looks beautiful! My kids were begging me to make it.

Cathg1g2 January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Only just discovered this and such a fun idea for a birthday cake! Thanx

Danielle January 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I JUST made this cake today for my Best Friend’s Birthday! She LOVES KitKats and Peanut Butter M&Ms, so I KNEW it would have to be a hit. SO Can’t wait for her to see it and be surprised tonight! Thanks for sharing! This was SUPER Easy and very fun to make!!!

Myra January 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’ve made this before. It turned out exactly like the picture. It took about 8 or 9 Big KitKat bars to go all the way around the cake.I used a 8″ or 9″ round cake pan. I, also, used a big bag of M & M’s…and then tie a ribbon around it. The smaller kit kat bars won’t work because they aren’t tall enough.

Cynthia January 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Super looking cake, gotta try it.

Cleopatra January 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I have got to see if my mom will let me make this once my braces stop hurting!!! Hmmm valentines day maybe? Do you think it will look good with Hershey kisses too or will it look like too much?

Melissa January 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I think it would be super cute with pink, red and white M&M’s and a few Hershey Kisses on top!

Cleopatra February 1, 2012 at 7:54 am

Sounds delectable!

Ruthie January 31, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love this idea… especially for my chocolate lover family and friends!!!!

Danielle February 7, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Love this making it for my 30th birthday this year. But I am using Chocolate cake with Peanut butter cups on chocolate frosting between to round cakes. Topped with PB M&M’s!! Don’t think I will bother sharing with anyone:)

Sharlzie February 9, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thanks for the fantastic and EASY cake decorating idea! Can’t wait to make this for my nephew’s up-coming 7th birthday :)

Tera February 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

Should I refrigerate this cake if made the night before I need it. Just worried about the chocolate melting?! Thanks!

Melissa February 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Unless your house is really warm, the chocolate won’t melt, but it won’t hurt it to refrigerate it! I hope you like it!

katie February 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

i made this cake it is so easy compared to some other cakes i have made and it is super cute aswell perfct birthday cake

Erica February 19, 2012 at 5:51 am

We gave this a try last night after spotting it on Pinterest – What a great idea!!!

Thanks for the inspiration!

You can have a look at our attempt here:

Kate February 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm

My sister loves Candy too! This cake would be perfect for her… not that I wouldn’t absolutely love it for myself! It looks so easy to make too! :)

penny barron February 24, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Seen this cake at baby shower.Loved the idea and was told to go on pinterest.com. Can’t wait to try it my self.So easy. Thanks.

Leigh March 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Quick….I’m making this soon and have a question. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find the “big” kit kats. So I just bought the regular ones. Will I be able to use those? I figure the bow will hide the “split.”

Melissa March 2, 2012 at 7:59 am

You can use the smaller bars, just make sure they top of the cake will be below the level of the bars. You may have to cut some of the top before frosting. Good luck! :)

Asmita March 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Auria March 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Brilliant idea – I’m going to make this for my daughter’s birthday which is in two weeks. She’s an M&M’s fiend – so I know she will LOVE this!

Shantel March 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

hello I’m planning on making this cake sometime today…is there any pointers you can give me?? how many slices does this cake serve? also whenever I do make a cake it always seem to over flow…how much batter do you fill in the cake pan??

Melissa March 14, 2012 at 11:33 am

You should get at least 12-14 servings from the cake, it is very rich with all the candy, so small pieces are good! Are you using 1 pan to make your cake? I always use two 9-inch pans and have not had a problem with the cake over flowing. Good luck!

Iconiclook.com March 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

great idea! this is the third time I am making this :) thanks!

Joanie March 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I found this on Pinterest and can’t wait to make it. My son requested it to be his cake for his Confirmation this Friday. Which is amazing since he’s been requesting a cake from a bakery in town for weeks. I’ll be making it and will be blogging about it on my website http://www.zagleft.com with pictures to follow and a credit to you. Thanks!

Sylvia March 31, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Love it. I’m going to make it.

kjc April 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

I saw this cake on pinterest a few weeks ago, but I’m not sure if it was from your site or not. I had to thank someone for this cake, so I chose you – thank you! Thank you!

I made this yesterday for an Easter family get-together. It was a hit!… Although made a fairly big mess with the first slice. Kit Kats were everywhere and the m&m’s were rolling. I made a chocolate buttercream, and I don’t think it was soft enough, so that may have been part of the problem.
Thanks for the amazing idea! We all loved it, even with all the rogue m&m’s!

Cindy Conner April 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

Found this on Pinterest! Love it and love your site. Posting it to my blog on Friday called Friday Favorites with your website. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

lauren April 15, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I made this today! It was easy and looks amazing. Made it for my husband’s birthday (he loves KitKats and I used peanut butter m&m’s on top) Yum!! Thanks :)

Shelly April 22, 2012 at 11:15 am

I loved this idea!! I couldn’t find a way to do a Phineas and Ferb cake for my son’s birthday, so I adapted your idea!!! I pinned it here http://pinterest.com/pin/106679084893577788/ if you’d like to see it. Thanks for your creativity!

Melissa April 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Super cool!

Isabelle May 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Hey I want to make this tomorrow for my sisters birthday but her birthday is after tomorrow will the kitkat bars still be good or do you have to eat this immediately after making it?

Melissa May 11, 2012 at 8:34 pm

It will be fine overnight, I would just keep it in the refrigerator. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Helen May 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I LOVE this idea!! I am planning on making this tomorrow for my best friends birthday party. Any suggestions on the flavor of cake mix? Do you think red velvet would be good or no?

Melissa May 31, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Red velvet would be good, but I love red velvet with cream cheese frosting and I am not sure about the cream cheese frosting/kit kat combination!

Dominique May 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Love this, What size pans did u use?

Melissa May 31, 2012 at 9:44 pm

8 or 9-inch pans will both work, if you use 8-inch you just may need to trim a little off the top layer to leave room for the m&m’s.

John June 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Amazing idea

John June 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Very Profesional i love it!

Veronica June 27, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Thats an awesome cake! I am going to try it sometime.. my question is how did you go about cutting it?

Justin July 2, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Thanks for the great idea, my wife and I made this with a few modifications to make it look like a flower bed. We used white Kit-Kats instead of brown, you should check it out here is the link : http://topinornot.blogspot.com/2012/06/ok-cake-turned-out-amazing-it-was-huge.html Thanks again!

Miz Karen August 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Saw this on Pinterest. Looks great and easy. Going to make this for our Church Fall Festival Cake Walk. Thanks!!

Kate September 16, 2012 at 9:23 am

I just made this cake, it looked lovely and tasted delicious. My only problem was that lots of the kitkats didn’t separate neatly.
I used 4 large family size blocks of kitkats (the same size as a 250g block of chocolate) to go around an 8 or 9 inch cake. Looking back at the pictures on the net, it looks like lots of people use the 2 finger kitkats and put them on as pairs.
For the perfectionists, this might make it look neater than trying to break large bars into single fingers.
Lovely and very pretty, thanks :-)

Katherine September 26, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Could you tell me how many layers your cake was? I’m going to make this tomorrow for my daughter’s birthday… Your cake turned out beautiful and I hope mine does, too!

Melissa October 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm

2 layers :)

Lynne October 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hi! I chose this as my first foray into homemade birthday cake baking and it was perfect! Baked it all from scratch using the Hershey’s recipe. Perfectly moist and delicious. I had heard about how messy it was to cut so I stored it in the fridge overnight and pulled it out about an hour before serving. No problems at all with cutting relatively neat slices and the temperature seemed right for the flavor too. Since posting it on Facebook I’ve had several friends make it too! Thanks so much.

Gayle October 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

I love this and have bought the ingredients to make today. I am confused though about the “length” of the Kit Kats you used. In my area I can only find one size (other than minis). The ones I have are around 3 1/2″ long – are the ones you used longer than that?? If so – can this be made using 2 layers of Kit Kat’s stacked on top of each other?? Would this be too tall?? This is such a great idea – and perfect for a “Chocolate Lover’s” Birthday and I really want to be able to make it work! Thank you for posting this and for your help.

Gayle October 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm

UPDATE: I just went ahead and used what I had and it turned out perfect!!!!! :). (I think the 9″ round pans is the “secret”). What a fun cake to make and I know the recipient will be thrilled!! Thank you again!

Melissa October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Glad it worked out for you!

Brandy October 19, 2012 at 3:14 am

I made this cake for my sons 11th birthday and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved it. Kids and adults both. It looked great and tasted great too.

Elizabeth Ann December 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’m making this for New YEars Eve! :-) thanks for sharing :-)

Becky Walker January 21, 2013 at 10:15 pm

My gradson has a cake auction every year to raise money for his boy scout troop. This will be one of the cakes that we will be making together…easy enough for him and me and will look great!

The magical slow cooker February 18, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I made this, turned out perfect. It was a big hit at my nephews birthday! Thanks for the recipe!

Sharlzie February 20, 2013 at 2:47 am

such a great cake! I made this last year for my nephew’s 7th birthday. he LOVED it :)

Kim May 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Love this cake!! I have some serious Kit Kat fiends in my house and this just takes it to the next level! Even I may be able to handle this one!