Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

by Melissa on August 4, 2010

These are probably one of the funnest desserts I have ever made! I have been waiting for the perfect time to make these and I finally had the chance when my neighbors had a huge party a couple of weeks ago. I offered to bring something sweet for the kids and these were the perfect choice!  The kids and adults alike all loved these and they were gone in no time.

The only downfall to these cupcakes is transporting them! They are a bit top-heavy, so they topple over easily and they are to tall for a cupcake carrier. Luckily, I only had to get them across the street, but I need to devise a better way to transport them. I am open to ideas if anyone has any!

Because I was making a double batch of these and only had a limited amount of time, I used boxed cake mix, but you could certainly use your favorite recipe.  Using 2 boxes of cake mix, I had more than enough batter for 48 cupcake cones, I actually got an additional 4 cupcakes from each mix.

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

• 1 box cake mix, prepared according to directions on the box
  • 1 box of ice cream cones (24)
  • Buttercream Frosting (4-5 cups, depending on how you decorate them, I used 1.5 batches of this recipe)
  • Sprinkles or other toppings

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 1 ice cream cone in each cup of a mini muffin pan. Fill cone to just barely over the bottom ridge with the cake batter, leaving about 1 inch of space at the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Let cool completely. Frost and decorate as desired. I used a piping bag fitted with the Wilton 1M tip and topped the chocolate cupcakes with chocolate sprinkles and the vanilla cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles.

Source: These are all over the internet with no clear original source

My little girl patiently waiting to dig in to her cupcake!

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

The Nifty Foodie August 4, 2010 at 5:06 pm

OMGosh..those are precious! I have no idea how to transport those things though…sorry.

Pennies on a Platter August 4, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Yum, I love these! I’m gonna have to say that the original source is my mom from the 1980′s. lol!! Kidding, of course! But, I remember she made these for us all the time as kids, and I keep meaning to make them myself. We would always bring them to class with us on our birthdays during elementary school. :) Thanks for the flashback!

Melissa August 4, 2010 at 7:49 pm

You have such a cool mom! Do you happen to remember she got them to school in one piece for you ?!

Katherine August 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I saw these all over the blogs lately, but everyone used the fancy ice cream cone holder pan to bake them – and I was certainly not going to blow money on that pan. So I sadly refrained from making these….but now I know the secret! Mini muffin pans! Thank you :) !!

Melissa August 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

Your welcome! I hope you make them soon, they are so fun!

Kerstin August 7, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Awww, these are so cute!

Tarrah Dame August 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm

these are so adorable! i just made some myself and will be posting this weekend…they are the best!

Jess January 21, 2011 at 12:53 am

To transport them you can either get a unused pizza box and cut holes in the top and place the cones in them or some McDonald’s have ice cream cone carriers and if you ask them for them they will give them to you.

Melissa January 23, 2011 at 7:58 am

Great ideas, thank you!

srfox February 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I cut holes in a cardboard flat (like the ones from a case of water) and put a cone in each hole. Made for easy transport!