Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

by Melissa on October 15, 2010

I had a different recipe ready to post today, but then I took a look outside. I don’t know how the weather is where you are, but here it is cold and rainy with no signs of letting up. Enter this recipe for Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole. Chicken, rice and vegetables mix with a cheese sauce and baked until warm and bubbly. Warm and satisfying.

This recipe does take a bit of time to make, especially on a weeknight, but it makes a lot and the leftovers are delicious. To save some time (and dishes), you could also use a rotisserie chicken and just use one kind of rice and it would still be very good. My family really loved this dinner and we will definitely be making it again in the coming winter months.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway here! Only two days left to enter!

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

• 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 Cups chicken broth
  • 3 1/2 – 4 Cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Reduce heat to low.

To prepare cheese sauce melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.  Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in 2 cups cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce into rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.  Serve hot.

Makes 8-10 servings.

Source: Slightly adapted from The Picky Palate.

megan @ whatmegansmaking October 15, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Your description totally sold me. This has been added to my menu list – hopefully for next week! yum :)

Melissa October 15, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Thank you, definitely give it a try! :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking October 22, 2010 at 9:02 am

Made this last night and loved it! I followed your basic directions, but modified based on what we have. I cut it in half since there’s only 2 of us, added some broccoli and mushrooms, and used leftover pork instead of chicken. It was delicious, and I have the leftovers for lunch today. My husband loved it too :) Thanks!

Melissa October 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Good call on the broccoli, I will definitely add that next time!

themilkmanswife October 15, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Mmmmm. Love this classed up version of a soup can favorite. I think I’ll make this Sunday dinner here soon so I can eat the leftover for lunch all week! YUM!

Melissa October 16, 2010 at 10:56 am

That is a great idea, the leftovers are delicious!

Sues October 18, 2010 at 12:25 am

This is totally one of my idea fall meals… I LOVE wild rice!! :)

Jenn@eatcakefordinner October 24, 2010 at 12:29 am

Sorry to comment on an older post, but I just saw this and can’t wait to try it. It sounds amazing! I am wondering where to buy wild rice? Does it come in a bag by the regular rice? I have never noticed it before.

Melissa October 24, 2010 at 8:12 am

It is near the other rice in the grocery store, I buy a big container of plain wild rice, but you can also buy small boxes or different flavors. You could also make this with just white rice, or brown rice as well! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Tamara January 31, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hi There! I’ve made this twice since I saw your post in November. It’s become a staple that I make once a month. Thanks for sharing! It’s a really good dish.