Soft Garlic Knots

by Melissa on January 12, 2011

Freshly baked rolls are definitely one of my favorite foods. Well, any form of freshly baked bread actually. :) My favorite homemade rolls have always been honey yeast rolls, but these soft garlic knots certainly give them a run for their money.

Light, fluffy and full of garlic, these rolls would be perfect with your favorite soup or stew. Or, even as a delicious substitute for garlic bread with your next pasta dinner. We recently had these with Italian Wedding soup, and I plan on making them again this week to have with a big batch of chicken chili.

Soft Garlic Knots

• For the dough:
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 tsp. instant yeast
  • 1¼ tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. lukewarm water
  • For the glaze:
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 tbsp. melted butter
  • ½ tsp. Italian seasoning

To make the dough, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the dry ingredients.  Add the olive oil, milk and water.  Mix until ingredients have formed a dough.  Switch to the dough hook and knead on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.  Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

To shape the rolls, divide the dough into 10-12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-inch long rope and tie into a knot. Take the end lying underneath the knot and bring it over the top, tucking it into the center. Take the end lying over the knot and tuck it underneath and into the center. (Click here for step-by-step photos of shaping the rolls)

Transfer shaped rolls to a baking stone, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 45 minutes, until puffy.

To make the glaze, finely mince the garlic or press it through a garlic press.  Mix with the melted butter and Italian seasoning.

Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Brush the glaze onto the shaped rolls.  Bake until set and lightly browned, about 15-18 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.

Source: King Arthur Flour, as seen on Annie’s Eats.

Blog is the New Black January 12, 2011 at 10:44 am

Wow, these sound amazing! Even at 10:45…

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com January 12, 2011 at 11:37 am

I’ve seen these garlic knots pop up on blogs for the past couple of years. Every time I see them, I remind myself that I *still* haven’t made them and I need to. Yours look great.

natalie (the sweets life) January 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm

i love homemade bread! i actually made pumpkin garlic knots once…they were delish!

Jenny January 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Hi, Melissa — I love the sound of that garlic glaze on those pretty rolls you made. They’re like already-made garlic bread . . .Love!

Inna January 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm

These look great! Next to honey yeast rolls, these are also my favorite rolls.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I love making things like this because guests are very impressed by homemade bread/buns etc..

Dana January 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Freshly baked bread is definitely a favorite of mine! (or freshly baked anything really… I’m such a carbaholic). These are totally up my alley!

Kerstin January 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Yum, these look really addicting – homemade bread is the best! I’m saving the recipe :)

holly. January 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I made these over the weekend. My first success with rolls. I’d previously tackled the homemade bread thing, but could not for the life of me get rolls that I wanted to eat – UNTIL NOW! Thanks for sharing!

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) January 25, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I can’t believe I haven’t made these yet after bookmarking them many times. And, if they give the honey yeast rolls a run for their money, then I better get on it!! :) Thanks for the further inspiration!

Tammy January 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I made these Sunday and they were amazing! My family’s new favorite! Thanks for the recipe!

a frog in the cottage January 31, 2011 at 6:45 am

I love garlic bread !!! yummy

laura ruesch February 2, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I just made these tonight with some homemade beef stew, very yummy!