Freezable Lemon Bars

by Melissa on April 11, 2011

Yes, it’s true, this blog is still alive! I am so sorry for the lack of blog updates lately. We have had a rough winter in our household this year and with the start of Spring,  things finally seem to be settling down! So thank you for continuing to check in and welcome to any new readers out there!

I really love lemon desserts in the Spring time. The flavor is so vibrant and fresh, and definitely helps get rid of the winter blahs. These lemon bars are just what you would expect a classic lemon bar recipe to be, but the best part is, you can make them weeks in advance. Simply store them in your freezer, and pull out about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve.  As Nikki pointed out, these would also be perfect to bring to a new or expecting mom!

Freezable Lemon Bars

• 1 1/2 packs graham crackers, crushed (or 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 5 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (juice from 2 lemons)
  • 8 oz whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 325˚F.

In a small bowl, mix the graham crackers, sugar and butter. Press firmly into a 9 x 9 x 2-inch ungreased foil pan.  In another small bowl, beat the egg yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice on low-medium speed for one minute.  Pour evenly over the crust and bake for about 30 minutes or until set.

Using two oven mitts, carefully remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.  Once completely cooled, spread the whipped cream over the top.

Label a large freezer bag with the name, expiration date and direction (below).  Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer bag.  Freeze up to a month.

Before serving, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Cut into bars.  If not freezing, this can also be kept in the fridge for several days.

Source: Pennies on a Platter who adapted it from Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms.

michelle April 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm

How perfect for Spring! I love lemon desserts, I’m bookmarking this!

Melissa April 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

You will love them!:)

Jessica April 11, 2011 at 11:59 pm

These sound great, Melissa! I was just telling my boyfriend tonight that I have this “thing” for lemon desserts. We had some lemon cake tonight at a dinner meeting that we attended.

I love the idea that this are quick and easy, too! Storing them away for unexpected guests is perfect!

Melissa April 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Usually I am a chocolate person, but there is just something about lemony desserts in the Spring!

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter April 12, 2011 at 1:18 am

Yay! I’ve missed you and glad you’re back! :) We love these bars so much. In fact, I can’t let Ben see this post or he will ask me to make these tonight, even though I’m already in bed with my laptop in lap. lol! Glad you liked them, too. Can’t wait to see what else you have in store for us now that you’re settled down a bit.

Melissa April 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Awww thanks Nikki! :) You mean you don’t have a batch of these in your freezer for Ben?!

natalie (the sweets life) April 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm

welcome back! love that these can be frozen–I can’t wait to try!

Melissa April 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Thanks! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 12, 2011 at 10:34 pm

These will be perfect for my sister’s gift opening after her wedding this summer. I am hosting it the day after the wedding and need to get a lot prepared in advance since I am also the wedding planner/ coordinator and matron of honour!

Melissa April 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

They would definitely be perfect! Good luck with everything!