Fudgy Black Bean Brownies

by Melissa on September 2, 2011

I will be completely honest with you, if I was not looking a sweet treat for my newly gluten-free sister-in-law, I probably never would have tried these brownies. But, we recently had a family get-together and I wanted to make sure she could eat dessert as well! I was so happy to discover that these brownies are actually really good! When everyone tried them, they raved how fudgy and moist they were, and they never would have guessed that they were made with black beans.

These brownies are also really easy to make, you simply combine all the ingredients in a food processor and bake. Just make sure that you process the beans and the batter until it is completely smooth, or else the brownies may be gritty. Keep this recipe in mind next time you need a gluten-free dessert, or if you want to try a (slightly) healthier, but delicious brownie!

Fudgy Black Bean Brownies

• 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed very well
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease an 8-x 8-inch baking pan; set aside.

Process the black beans in the bowl of a food processor until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients, minus the chocolate chips and process again until smooth. Mix in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and pulse a few times just until the chips are incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the sides and it passes the toothpick test. Cool completely in the pan, then slice into squares.

Source: Meal Makeover Moms, as seen on Pennies on a Platter.

Ksenia September 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Beans are so amazing, hey! Definitely going to try this. Thanks!

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter September 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Glad you liked these! It’s fun to trick people and not tell them that they are made with black beans until they try them! :)

Laurie@TheBakingBookworm September 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Great recipe! I have a friend who is celiac. I think I’ll make her a batch of these brownies. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I have never baked with beans before, but the idea is intriguing.

melissa September 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I just stumbled upon your site for the pumpkin & apple cupcake recipes. They look SO good, and I think I can translate them to gluten-free flour easily. I thought I’d hop over to your home page – and it is a gluten-free recipe! THank you SO much. I’m bookmarking you now. Can’t wait to see your other fabulous goodies.
It stinks being gluten-free, but with great ideas like this, it gets easier every day!

Tara February 27, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I was a little nervous making these, but they were so YUMMY! I will definitely be making these again. Thanks!

Kellie January 7, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I just made these the other day and they are amazing! I did make just a couple of small changes. I used maple syrup instead of sugar and coconut oil instead of canola oil. I may even try using butter the next time! They were a big hit with my family! Thanks for the great recipe.