Chocolate Chip Cookies {my go-to recipe}

by Melissa on February 29, 2012

This has been my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe for many years now, and even though I have shared this recipe before, it was four years ago and I thought it was time to post it again!

I have been baking these cookies a lot lately, but not for me, while not directly anyway! You see, we are trying to sell our house and I read somewhere that you should bake cookies prior to a showing, so your house is warm and cozy. So, I have been making a batch of the cookie dough and freezing little cookie dough balls. Then just prior to the showings we have had, I bake off a small batch and leave a platter of freshly baked cookies out in my now warm and cozy house. :)

People apparently like the cookies, but not the house! After every showing the cookies are gone, but we have yet to get an offer. I am not giving up yet though, and will keep baking my cookies and hoping for the best!

Have you ever sold a house? Any tips or tricks you care to share?

Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I use about 1 3/4 cups)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk and mix until light and creamy. Add in the flour mixture, and mix on low until just blended (do not over-mix!). Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.

If you have time, refrigerate the dough for a couple hours. Otherwise, scoop the dough on to the prepared cookie sheets using a medium cookie scoop. Cookies should be about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 9-12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Watch closely and pull out of the oven as soon as edges start to turn golden brown! These cookies are best when they are slightly underbaked coming out of the oven. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Store in an airtight container and these cookies should stay soft for a couple of days, if they last that long! If cookies do start to become hard, add a piece of bread to the container (an old trick I learned from my mom!).

Source: Adapted from Allrecipes.com.

{To freeze cookies}

Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with wax or parchment paper. Freeze until the dough is firm, about 2 hours. Transfer the balls of dough to a freezer safe container. You can bake the cookie dough right out of the freezer, just add 1-2 minutes to the baking time.

Pin It

Nic@diningwithastud February 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Luuurve choc chip cookies. I love that everyone has a go to for them haha. Mine is my grandmothers :)

Melissa March 1, 2012 at 7:45 am

Awww, that is so sweet! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Good idea to freeze the dough – I’ve never done that. I baked 5 different kinds of chocolate chip cookies in the last few days … wish I would have had this recipe a week ago!

Melissa March 1, 2012 at 7:47 am

My timing has always been impeccable. :) Definitely try freezing next time, it works out really well!

Macaroni and Cheesecake February 29, 2012 at 11:34 pm

These cookies look delicious! That’s a great idea to bake them right before a showing. We sold our house last year and we left a bowl of candies out for the potential buyers. I would also recommend having all the lights turned on so its nice and bright and playing some light instrumental music in the background. I also tried to leave every morning as if we would get a showing that day (no dishes in the sink, clutter cleared away, etc.) I know that isn’t always possible but it helped for those last minute showings. I hope your house sells quickly! Ours took a while so I know the stress that it can bring, but ours finally sold, Praise the Lord! Hope this helps and pray yours sells!!

Melissa March 1, 2012 at 7:50 am

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Luckily, we have a lot of natural light during the day and I have been leaving all the lights on for night time showings. But, I hadn’t thought of the candy bowl! I will have to pick up a cute bowl this weekend to set out!

Andrea Coutu March 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I was baking cookies before showings. Or baking pre-baked bread. I’d pull it out of the oven, leave it on a bread board and make one slice, partly wrapping the loaf in a cloth.

Then my realtor gave me a good tip. Put the baked cookies on a tray. On the stove top, heat sugar water and cinnamon. Put that in the oven when it’s time to leave. People will assume you just baked the cookies. You can thus use the cookies over and over. :)

crevette March 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm

It must be very good. I love It

Tegan @ Style Chic April 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi Melissa,
If you are trying to sell your home, its really important to remove any clutter and as many personal items as you can- it may sound like a lot, but potential buyers need to be able to see themselves living in your home with their items.
The way I see it is that when you sell, you are going to have to pack it all away anyway so you might as well get a head start!
Make sure the exterior of your home is presentable as well. Trim hedges, cut the grass and do any minor repairs around the place. And lastly, what would you think of your home if you were visiting it for the first time? Ask yourself – Is it presentable and appealing? Anything you would change?

These are some of the things I always think of before selling
Hope this helps :)

Melissa April 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for the tips!

Gail B. May 18, 2012 at 12:41 am

Ever have a ‘ oh duh ‘ moment? Thanks for your post!